Dasmariñas | Wikipedia audio article


Dasmariñas, officially the City of Dasmariñas,
(Tagalog: Lungsod ng Dasmariñas), or simply known as Dasmariñas City, is a 1st class
city in the province of Cavite, Philippines. According to the 2015 census, it has a population
of 659,019 people.Nicknamed Dasma, it has a land area of 90.1 square kilometers (34.8
sq mi)  and is located 30 kilometres (19 mi) south of Manila. The growing congestion and outward urban expansion
of the Metropolitan Manila Area has led to rapid development of the city. This inevitable growth is manifested by the
influx of industries, the presence of large educational and health institutions, and the
growing number of subdivisions elevating its economy.==Etymology==
Dasmariñas was named after Gómez Pérez Dasmariñas, the 7th Spanish governor-general
of the Philippines who served from 1590 to 1593. After his death, his son Luis Pérez Dasmariñas
became the governor-general from 1593 to 1596. Pérez Dasmariñas came from San Miguel das
Negradas, Viveiro, Galicia, Spain. Dasmariñas literally means “from As Mariñas”
(coastal region of Lugo combining the comarcas of A Mariña Occidental, A Mariña Central
and A Mariña Oriental), coming itself from mariño (“of the coast, seaside or shore”
in the Galician language, the native tongue from Viveiro Galicia, Spain), and this from
mar (“sea”).==History=====Foundation===
In the 19th century during the Spanish Colonial Period, Dasmariñas was originally called
Tampus meaning “end of the forest.” In the beginning stages,it was a part of its
mother town of Imus (now City of Imus). It was once a part of a vast Recollect Hacienda
that supported all the various missionary activities of the Recollects in the Philippines
and in Spain.On April 9, 1864, a council composed of the Archbishop of Manila, the politico
military governor of Cavite, the Prior Provincial of the Augustinian Recollect Order and the
parish priest of Imus met to discuss the creation of the new town and parish separated from
Imus. At that time, there were only 643 inhabitants
in Tampus, the heart of the community. After thorough discussions, the Gobierno Civil
Superior of the Islands approved the creation of the new town on May 12, 1864 with Don Juan
Ramirez elected as gobernadorcillo (town head).An ensemble of nipa houses in the other barrios
of the hacienda like Malinta, Nancaan, Salacay, Paliparan, Malagasang and Salitran were grouped
and migrated into a reduccion (reduction) in Tampus in 1866. Reduccion originally meant the religious and
civic aspects of missionary activities. Later it came to mean the process of resettling
and unifying a community, thereby creating a newly organized town. For the Spanish missionaries and friars, this
process was advantageous not only for evangelization but also for bringing people under the Spanish
rule. A new town called Tampus was formed. From that time on, the people of Tampus built
their houses within the hearing distance of the church bells – “bajo las toques de campana”. The new town could be reached through a good
network of roads and bridges built by the best architects and engineers of the Recollect
Order.In the same year, the new town was rechristened Perez-Dasmariñas to honor the 7th Governor
General of the Philippines, Don Gómez Pérez Dasmariñas (1590–1593). Governor Dasmariñas, a Knight of Santiago,
was a native of Galicia, Spain and a former magistrate of Murcia and Cartagena, Spain
who brought a lot of economic improvements during the early days of colonization. Toward the end of 1866, the new town Perez-Dasmariñas
had complied with the requirements of a typical Philippine town. A spacious town plaza at the center of the
town with the church and the convent made of stone and bricks, a casa tribunal (courthouse)
made of wood and nipa, a primary school for children and various houses made of nipa were
built in designated areas. A cemetery was located around 200 yards away
from the church and surrounded with wooden fence.The foundation of the town Perez-Dasmariñas
was unique from most other towns of Cavite. For the first time, a town was created not
by a preceding petition of the barrio people and its local officials as required by legal
procedures and custom at that time. Instead, high ranking church officials and
the Cavite politico military governor were the prime initiators of its foundation.For
the sake of the people of the growing town and for their own interest, the Recollects
sent a petition to Madrid for the creation of a new parish of Dasmariñas, independent
from Imus. Queen Isabella II signed the Royal Order creating
the new parish of Perez-Dasmariñas on October 21, 1866. The following year, the construction of the
stone parish church of Dasmariñas dedicated to the Virgin Mary as Our Lady of Immaculate
Conception was started.===Barrios===
The old town of Perez-Dasmariñas was made up of several barrios. Salitran was considered the most important
and famous during the Spanish regime because it was the site of the Recollect casa hacienda
(estate house). Salitran came from the Tagalog word “sal-it”
meaning “people from another town”. It was also once named as Bayanan because
of the large concentration of people there. Since it was a part of the Recollect Hacienda
de Imus, there were many people from different provinces who lived there working as farmhands. Layong Iloko, a place in Salitran, strengthens
the belief that there were Ilocanos who settled there. Pasong Santol in Salitran got its name because
of the abundance of santol trees.Tampus, the center of the newly formed town was located
at the end of the deep forest in contrast with one of the sitios which was called “Pintong
Gubat” or “gate of the forest”. Sometimes, the name of a barrio is taken from
its location, as in the case of Barrio Burol which suggests the high location of the barrio. Sabang on the other hand means “crossroad”
or “crossing”. Barrio Salawag is believed to be the old barrio
Salacay. The word “salawag” refers to long bamboo poles
to which nipa roofing are tied up. Salawag is sometimes also called “crossing”
because it serves as a crossroad between Paliparan and Salitran.Nancaan, now called Langkaan,
was derived from the Tagalog word “langka” (jackfruit). It is the biggest fruit tree in the Philippines
which was reportedly brought from India to Malaysia and found its way to our country. The presence of lot of jackfruit trees may
be the reason it was called Nancaan.Malinta or Malintaan, on the other hand was derived
from the Tagalog word “linta” which means leech. The abundance of leeches in the place accounted
for its name. On July 18, 1899, three more sitios of Perez-Dasmariñas
were raised to the rank of barrios. Barrio Sampaloc owing to the abundance of
tamarind trees in the place; barrio Tamban was renamed San Jose and Barrio Lucsuhin became
San Agustin.===The 1896 Philippine Revolution===
By June 1896, the Spanish authorities in Cavite province had become suspicious of the local
elite’s activities. There were alleged top hierarchy meetings
of the Recollects in the casa hacienda of Salitran and San Nicolas. Included in the meeting were General Bernardo
Echaluce and other top military officials. The purpose of the meeting was to determine
whether it was just to apprehend the notable elites who were “Masons”. At the time, “Masons” were bitter enemies
of the church and their liberal ideas coming from their counterpart in Spain were beginning
to awaken the natives to fight for their rights and even for their freedom. Fortunately for the elites, no decision was
during the meeting. Thus, the local leaders freely but quietly
continued their subversive activities.As soon as the revolution of 1896 broke out, leaders
of Perez-Dasmariñas took no time in taking up arms against the Spanish rule. Don Placido Campos, the gobernadorcillo at
the time and Don Francisco Barzaga, the municipal secretary, gathered the people to liberate
their town from Spanish control at the beginning of September 1896. They captured the casa tribunal and casa hacienda
in Salitran, killing the religious clergies who lived there. Eventually, the town was freed.As towns in
Cavite fell into the hands of Filipino revolutionaries, the Spanish government in Madrid felt that
Governor General Ramon Blanco’s offensive against the natives was ineffective. Thus, a more aggressive person took over the
command of the islands, Camilo de Polavieja, with Gen. José de Lachambre as the head of
the campaign. Gradually, the Spaniards regained the control
of the province. After the fall of Silang, the Spaniards turned
their eyes to Perez-Dasmariñas. Knowing the strength of resistance he might
encounter, Gen. Lechambre decided to surround the whole town. He sent to advance units headed by Brigadier
Gen. Jose Molina who went to take the left. The troop under Col. Arutos who had taken
Paliparan, went westward to cut the escape of the Filipinos to Imus and Carmona. Gen. Lechambre sent the main force toward
the south.The Caviteños suffered terrible defeat because of lack of arms and ammunition. As the Spaniards approached the Poblacion,
the revolutionaries retreated the stone building of the town. On February 25, 1897, the Spaniards decided
to encircle the Poblacion rather go directly to the interior. They started burning all houses except the
church. Seeing they were surrounded by fire, some
of the rebels went out of hiding but were immediately met by open fire. Those who took refuge at the casa tribunal
refused to come out and were all burned alive. Even those who took refuge in the church did
eventually yield to the advancing Spanish forces. By March, Perez-Dasmariñas had fallen back
into the Spanish hand.Then Lechambre returned to Salitran. He was expecting a heavy resistance from the
revolutionaries who occupied the casa hacienda but to his great surprise, they were able
to take the place without any resistance. They hoisted the red and gold flag of Spain
and converted it as their headquarters.However, news came that there was a heavy concentration
of Filipino rebels at Pasong Santol a short distance beyond Salitran. The Battle of Pasong Santol was one of the
most significant in the Caviteños’ desire to keep their province under their control. It was the bloodiest battle fought in Cavite. It was during these series of battles in Cavite
when Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo was elected in absentia as President of the newly formed
revolutionary government. While some leaders of Magdalo faction of the
Katipunan were busy fighting in Pasong Santol, members of the Magdiwang and Magdalo faction
were discussing the form of government and elected its officers in the Tejeros Convention
in Rosario, Cavite. In said Convention, Bonifacio was traitorously
ousted from the Katipunan leadership by the combined Caviteño revolutionaries. Bonifacio and his brother Procopio were later
executed by Aguinaldo’s men.The Filipino casualties was enormous according to Lachambre. There were 150 men inside the “tribunal” or
town hall when Spaniards set fire to the building and all 150 were killed. Others took refuge in the convent. This also was set on fire and the men were
shot as they emerged. Others had shut themselves up in the church. With the church surrounded, the mountain artillery
was brought up into position and from a distance of 35 meters, the strong doors of the church
were bombarded and the troops went in through the breach. At the height of the Battle of Perez Dasmarinas,
Gen. Flaviano Yengko, Gen. Crispulo Aguinaldo, Lucas Camerino, Arturo Reyes and many more
revolutionaries lost their lives fighting for their motherland.===The American (Commonwealth) Colonial Era
===With the signing of the Treaty of Paris on
December 10, 1898 (ratified Washington on February 6, 1899), the Philippines was ceded
to America by Spain. The American regime brought to Dasmariñas,
as it did to other parts of the country, several fundamental changes in the system of government,
in language, and in educational system.In the month of February 1899, the Philippine-American
War began. General Henry Ware Lawton’s brigade operated
south of Manila including the province of Cavite in the middle of June 1899. The Americans could not land directly at Bacoor
because Zapote river was defended by the Filipino revolutionists who built trenches as tactical
defenses forming three sides of an angle which made the Filipinos hardly visible. The American’s 14th Infantry Battalion swam
across the during the Battle of Zapote River and under the cover of military artillery,
charged against the Filipinos who then retreated to the woods.Moving southward, the Americans
encountered more Filipino revolutionists in the town of Bacoor, Imus and Perez-Dasmariñas,
a battalion of infantry narrowly escaped annihilation. News had been brought to the American camp
that the Filipino soldiers had evacuated the town and that the native mayor was disposed
to surrender it formally to the Americans. The battalion thus went there to take possession,
but before reaching the place, the Filipino revolutionists closed in on all sides, and
a heavy firefight went on for hours. The Americans were saved from destruction
by a desperate bayonet charge when they were rescued by General Weaton’s brigade.Placido
Campos, who sided with General Emilio Aguinaldo since the beginning of the Filipino-American
war in 1899, was captured together with his nephew Guillermo Campos. They were imprisoned at the Provost Political
Prison on Postigo St., Intramuros, Manila where they were kept for six months.The Americans
established the Military Government in 1900. By order of the Colonel of the American Battalion
stationed in Perez-Dasmariñas, the residents of the town nominated a president and a vice-president. Elected through the raising of hands were
Francisco Barzaga as president and Conrado Malihan as vice-president. They served their office until the civil government
was established by the Americans in 1901.On January 31, 1901, in accordance with President
McKinley’s instructions that the Filipinos be allowed to manage their own municipal governments,
the Second Philippine Commission enacted the Act Number 82, the new Municipal Code, placing
each municipal government under the following officials: the municipal president, the vice-president,
and the municipal council, who were elected by qualified voters every two years. In line with this, Placido Campos was again
elected as the head of the municipality of Perez-Dasmariñas in October 1901. Francisco Barzaga then became the Treasurer
of Dasmariñas. The two were re-elected in 1903.In 1903, the
American government made the first census in the Philippines. Francisco Barzaga and the secretary, Esteban
Quique, made census enumerators for Perez-Dasmariñas under the leadership of Placido Campos. When the census was finished, the total population
of the town was only 3,500. Before the revolution of 1898, the population
was 12,000. (There were 20 Cabezas de Barangay (barangay
head) and each of which had 200 persons with ages ranging from 18 to 59 years, men and
women, the number of children estimated at 6,000 giving atotal of 12,000.) Comparing the population prior to the revolution
with that of 1948, there has been a decrease in the population of Perez-Dasmariñas. The 1948 census accounted to only 9,700 while
that of the pre-revolutionary period totaled 12,000.From 1905 to 1916, the law which was
passed in 1901 took effect. It combined the municipalities of Imus, Perez-Dasmariñas
and Bacoor into one, with the seat of government located at Imus. Consequently, on January 5, 1905, Perez-Dasmariñas
became a part of Imus. The reason for this was to punish the insurrectos
for not surrendering. Besides, the inability of the people to work
outside from fear of being suspected by the Constabulary greatly decrease the income of
the municipalities to the detriment of the employees and the policemen.In 1917, under
Governor General Francis Burton Harrison (1913–1921), Perez-Dasmariñas was again declared a separate
municipality. The provincial governor of Cavite, Antero
S. Soriano, convened the local leaders, including Placido Campos, Francisco Barzaga, and Felipe
Tirona. Together, they agreed to delete the word “Perez”
and retain “Dasmariñas” as the new name of the town. For the second time, Placido Campos headed
the rechristened town of Dasmariñas.===World War II Japanese Reign of Terror
and the Dasmarineo Resistance Guerilla Movement 1941–1945===
The town of Dasmariñas is a town in the province of Cavite that shed blood and has given up
many lives for the sake of our country. There were many times when the Japanese conducted
zonifications in the town. The barrios of Paliparan and Salawag suffered
the most number of deaths. Being remote places and thinking that guerrillas
were hiding there, these two barrios were zonified two times giving up several lives. The Japanese Imperial Army made the schools
as their garrison.Meanwhile, after surviving the Bataan Death March, General Mariano Castaneda
returned to Cavite and helped organized the resistance movement in Dasmarinas headed by
Col. Estanislao Mangubat Carungcong of the 4th Infantry Regiment Filipino-American Cavite
Guerilla Force, with Major Dominador Ilano Mangubat MD head of the Medical Corps, Capt.
Elpidio Mangubat Barzaga Sr., Major Maximo Dela Torre, Major Joaquin Crame, Major Rosendo
Navarro, Captain Serapio Guevarra, Captain Jose Bautista, Lt. Colonel Jose Medina Carungcong,
1st Lt. Pantaleon Cantimbuhan, 1st Lt. Quirino Clorina, Captain Remigio Carungcong, Capt.
Gaudencio Geda, Captain Felicisimo Carungcong MD Dental Corps and (Incumbent Municipal Mayor)
Captain Clemente Bautista, Captain Antonio Montoya, Captain Felipe Ilano, Captain Arsenio
Sico, Captain Emmanuel Dominguez, 1st Lt. Tiburcio Mendoza, Captain Arturo Sayoto Carungcong,
2nd Lt. Leonardo Campos, 2nd Lt. Hermogenes Beltran, 2nd Lt. Teodoro Sapida, 2nd Lt. Pacifico
Menez, S/Sgt. Melecio Veluz, S/Sgt Ruperto Mangubat, Captain
Purificacion Medina, 2nd Lt. Filomeno Mantele this unit provided guerilla warfare and prepared
to attack with every armed men when the Allied landed on the Batangas Beeches, sabotage missions,
cutting off enemy communications and logistics, recoinnaissance missions, protecting civilian
people against aggression by the Imperial Japanese Army and provide evacuation plans
for them and intensified intelligence reports to the 11th Airborne Division, 187th Glider
Infantry Regiment headed by Colonel Harry B. Hildebrand to give way for the Liberation
Forces | source=collections.pvao.mil.ph 4th Infantry
Regiment Colonel Estanislao Mangubat Carungcong, General Mariano Castaneda
On December 17, 1944, another zonification was conducted in the town proper. The Church was used as garrison and all suspected
male residents involved or coordinating with the guerrilla movement of Col. E.M. Carungcong,
15 guerilla officers of the 4th Infantry (Cobra Unit) were brought at the back of the Dasmariñas
Elementary School and were tortured and bayonetted to death some were hanged at the old mango
tree near the school canteen, whipped, tortured and forced to say something about the local
Dasmarineo guerilla resistance movement. Women are abducted and raped by the Japanese
Soldiers and children were bayoneted to their deaths, There were those who experienced the
so-called “tinutubig” (wherein the head is immersed in a drum of water).Aside from these,
raid after raid were made and male residents were shot to death. Some were killed because they were mistaken
as guerrilla members. Some fought face to face, during encounters
in Burol, Malinta, Paliparan and Langkaan, others were killed in other towns. Some came as far as Cavite City to escape
Japanese Air Bombings at the Naval Base. Most male residents of Dasmarineños were
among those who fought with the Japanese in Bataan and Corregidor island. Sad to state too, there were those who joined
the Bataan Death March, some of whom are already dead and some are still living to tell the
tale.In January 31, 1945 During the Main Allied landing on the Nasugbu Batangas beeches, the
Dasmarineo guerilla force of the 4th Infantry Regiment under Col. E.M. Carungcong plus 1
Battalion under Major Santiaguel 1st Infantry protected at all cost the National Highway
and attacked enemy positions at the national highway from Palapala Road inclusive extending
3000 yards east and west of the national highway to Salitran road to prevent the enemy to rally
and counterattack and to clear the path of the main allied force the 11th Airborne Division
under Col. Harry B. Hildebrand. After General Mariano Castaneda gave the command
to Colonel Estanislao Mangubat Carungcong (4th Infantry Cobra Unit) and Colonel Emiliano
De la Cruz (14th Infantry) to Liberate Dasmarinas. A loud rallying war cry rang from the Dasmarineo
4th Infantry Guerilla Group. Countrymen! Arise! the ZERO hour has come! the mighty
forces of liberation have returned, the stars and stripes, real symbols of justice and freedom
once more adourn our blueskies, keep em’ flying! our friendly comrades in arms, the brave Americans
under their great General MacArthur savior of the Philippines, did not fail us. They are here. Let us fight side by side with them, with
General Castaneda the unconquerable fighting Governor of Cavite, and our indestructible
union of forces steeled with the flames of valor, let us crush and exterminate the heartless
conquerors of race, assassins of democracy, enemies of mankind, only final and complete
victory! can restore to us. OUR REAL REPUBLIC AND INDEPENDENCE;
OUR PEACE, FREEDOM AND HONOR; OUR HOMES AND GODLY EXISTENCE. Valliant! Guerrilleros! To Arms! To the Field of Battle! In January 31, 1945, The 11th Airborne Division,
187th Glider Infantry Regiment under Colonel Harry B. Hildebrand and American and Filipino
troops of the 4th and 42nd Infantry Divisions of the Philippine Commonwealth Army and the
Dasmarineo unit of the 4th Infantry Regiment Fil-American Cavite Guerilla Forces headed
by Colonel Estanislao M. Carungcong combined with Colonel Saulog 1st Infantry and Colonel
Reyes killed 56 Japanesed soldiers garrison in Dasmarinas and more in the town of Imus,
the town of Dasmarinas liberated after a fierce and bloody battle in Dasmarinas against an
enemy who would never surrender the fanatical Imperial Japanese Army, and thus marking the
end of the Japanese reign of terror in Dasmarinas Cavite. Dasmarinas has a long list of heroes who sacrificed
their lives for their motherland, an updated list is required.===Post-war era and before cityhood===
After the war, the Philippines became independent and Dasmariñas started to develop. The population increased because of the mass
exodus of families from Metro Manila and nearby provinces.The Dasmariñas Bagong Bayan (DBB),
also known as Dasmariñas Resettlement Area, was established in 1975 by Letter of Instruction
No. 19 issued by the then President Ferdinand Marcos. From 1983 to 1998, Dasmariñas had an economic
boom. Different factories and establishments sprouted
in the town which gave way for the growth in population. From a sixth-class municipality, the town
became a first-class municipality.As of 2015, the City has a population in excess of over
650,000. Dasmariñas served as a catalyst for major
economic development and sustained growth for the Metro Manila urban area since the
1990s. The influx of industries, academia, and real
estate developments is significant of in a town outside of a major financial district. Located at Dasmariñas are the First Cavite
Industrial Estate with 81 foreign and domestic corporations employing 20,000,. The city also hosts one of the largest universities
in Cavite, the De La Salle University-Dasmariñas campus, which serves more than 25, 000 students.===Cityhood attempts and present===
There have been several attempts to convert Dasmariñas into a city. The first attempt was in 1997, when HB08931
was filed by Congressman Renato P. Dragon with other cityhood bills of Imus (HB 08960)
and Bacoor (HB 08959). It was filed last February 11, 1997 and read
last February 13, 1997. Committee Report N0. 01361 was submitted on
December 17, 1997. It was approved on the third reading by the
House last January 10, 1998. It did not push through as a Republic Act
and no plebiscite happened. The second attempt was in 2000, when HB099883
was filed by Congressman Erineo Maliksi last March 13, 2000. It was first read last March 13, 2000. It was approved on the Second and Third reading
of House last March 15, 2000 and March 27, 2000. It was transmitted to the senate on March
28, 2000 and received on March 31, 2009. It did not push through as a Republic Act
and no plebiscite happened. The idea of converting Dasmariñas into a
component city was again proposed for the third time after failure in 1997 and 2000. House Bill no. 5258 converting the municipality of Dasmariñas
into a component city was filed by Congressman Elpidio F. Barzaga, Jr. last October 3, 2008. It was read last October 6, 2008. It was approved by the House on Second and
Third Reading on October 7 and November 17, 2008. It was transmitted and received by the Senate
last November 17 and 20, 2008. It was passed by the senate on Second and
Third Reading last October 28 and November 5, 2009. It is received by the President of the Philippines
last October 14, 2009 and signed as Republic Act 9723 last October 15, 2009.COMELEC Resolution
No. 8682 in connection with the November 25, 2009 plebiscite to ratify the conversion of
the municipality of Dasmariñas province of Cavite into a component city pursuant to Republic
Act 9723 dated October 15, 2009.Republic Act No. 9723 was ratified by the registered voters
of Dasmariñas through a plebiscite conducted last November 25, 2009, converted the municipality
of Dasmariñas in the Province of Cavite into a component city to be known as the City of
Dasmariñas. There were about 44,000 voters who cast the
plebiscite ballot in the town’s 1,508 polling precincts. The yes votes won overwhelmingly. The yes votes got 36,559 while the no votes
got 8,141.Then Mayor Jennifer Austria-Barzaga, elected in 2007, is both the first woman mayor
and first city mayor of Dasmariñas since its incorporation as a city. Since 1892, when Don Placido N. Campos became
the first mayor, there have been 23 mayors of the city. On 2011, the Paro-Paro Festival was first
celebrated. It is celebrated every November 26 to commemorate
the incorporation of the city of Dasmariñas with people dancing and parading in the streets
in butterfly costumes.In November 2013, the Paro-Paro Festival was cancelled, instead
the allocated funds will be donated to the Typhoon Yolanda victims.==Geography==Dasmariñas City is about 8,234 hectares,
12 kilometers south of Metro Manila or the National Capital Region and 27 kilometers
south of the center of the City of Manila. It is bounded by the city of Imus and the
municipality of Silang, both in Cavite at the north and south respectively, at the east
by the Cities of San Pedro and Biñan by the side of Laguna and Carmona and at the west,
it is bounded by General Trias, also in Cavite and a little further from this boundary is
Trece Martires City and also borders with Muntinlupa.It is strategically located at
the intermediate zone of the Metropolitan Manila area. With adequate accessibility, Dasmariñas is
within the urbanizing development influence of Metro Manila area. It is composed of the Poblacion and the barangays. The Poblacion which is now divided into four
zones is on the westernmost section of the city, Sabang, Salawag and Salitran are to
the north and to the south are San Agustin, Langkaan and Sampaloc. Burol, Paliparan, and Bagong Bayan are on
the eastern side of the city. The city of Dasmariñas is landlocked. However, it is not too far from the coastal
towns of Rosario, Kawit, Bacoor City, Noveleta and Cavite City whose average distance from
Poblacion is less than 30 kilometers. It is about the same distance from Laguna
de Bay and about 27 kilometers from the resort city of Tagaytay and the famous Taal Lake. At present, Dasmariñas is served by corridors
traversing the central areas which provide linkages to the Metropolitan Manila area core
in the north and the developing nodes of Laguna and Batangas.===Topography===
Dasmariñas is partly lowland and partly hill. The Poblacion itself is elevated. From an elevation of 80 meters at the Poblacion,
the land rises to 250 meters towards Silang. Generally, land near rivers and creeks are
rugged. Dasmariñas is outside the typhoon belt and
has no fault line constraints. Further, it is served by natural drainage
system since it is traversed by several rivers and water tributaries draining to the Manila
Bay. The city has yet to experience floods.Strongly
sloping to elevated areas cover approximately 1,532.16 hectares or 18.61% of the total area. These are dispersed among Burol, Langkaan,
Paliparan, Salawag, Sampaloc and San Agustin. Areas with slopes 10.1 to 18% cover about
575.72 hectares of land in portions of Salawag, Salitran, Burol, and other parts. On the other hand, gently sloping or undulating
areas comprise merely 710.4 hectares or 8.62% of the total land area while undulating areas
with a slope of 2.6 to 5% account for the biggest percentage of 50.59% of the total
land area equivalent to 4, 165.64 hectares of land which are dispersed over the municipality
except Sabang and San Jose.===Climate===
Dasmariñas has a tropical wet and dry climate (Köppen climate classification: Aw) with
two pronounced seasons: wet season and dry season. Wet season covers the period from May to December
of each year and dry season covers the period from January to April.==Demographics==
In the 2015 census, the population of Dasmariñas, was 659,019 people, with a density of 7,300
inhabitants per square kilometre or 19,000 inhabitants per square mile. From the original 643 inhabitants of the old
Perez-Dasmariñas, the population grew and so did the town. By 1888, there were already more than 4,576
people living in Perez-Dasmarinas. Gradually, the economic life of the people
improved. The inquilinos (lessees) of the hacienda rose
to become the middle class. Dasmariñas, 8,664 hectares were all farmed
in 1890 except for 3,770 hectares (including parcels at Gatdula and Balimbing). Lessees paid the usual land rent base on the
measurement of lowland and upland riceland set up by the “uldog” (friar administrator)
of casa hacienda de Salitran. In the 1880s, there were 200 quinones of dry
and 50 quinones of wet ricelands yielding some 2,300 cavanas of palay, 5,000 piculs
of mucavado sugar, 50 cavans of corn and camote, 60 piculs of tao and 25 piculs of peanuts. Dasmariñas was a highly advanced town where
not only textiles from Batangas and Bulacan looms, but also imported European cloth from
Manila reached the town elites. Fish and other staple food however still came
from nearby towns. Surprisingly until 1880, there was no public
market in the town. There was a principal public dirt road in
Perez-Dasmariñas that went to Silang which was passable to all kinds of vehicle only
during dry season, but reachable only by foot and horseback during wet season. By 1870, mails from Manila were received at
a central station in Cavite Puerto where it was sorted. Mails were brought via Kawit, then Imus then
Dasmariñas.Culturally, Perez-Dasmariñas was not too behind for by 1874 there were
already two competing brass bands in the town. Don Valeriano Campos, an inquilino and a former
gobernadorcillo of the town (1879 to 1881) organized one of the brass bands. He was popularly known as Capitang Vale. He was the highest taxpayer and owned a house
made of cogon and wood on Calle Real with an appraised value of P300. His son Placido Campos learned his trade and
also considered a man of means. Manuela Monzon, another well to do woman owned
a house at the town’s main street. The house made of nipa and wood was valued
at P200 and was rented as a boys’ school for P72.Nonetheless in 1892, there was a noticeable
decrease of the male population. As conflict between the friar-hacenderos,
the inquilinos and casamas multiplied more people went into hiding in the deep forest
of Perez-Dasmariñas. The rise of tulisanismo in Cavite was often
connected with agrarian problems in the hacienda town owned by the friars.The city has 75 barangays,
has more than 170 subdivisions and the biggest resettlement area in the Philippines, the
Dasmariñas Bagong Bayan (DBB).Most affluent families from Metro Manila and nearby towns
and provinces have chosen Dasmariñas to be their home due to its proximity to the National
Capital Region. The mass exodus of people here in Dasmariñas
is also brought about by the industrial boom which brought about more jobs. There are also a big number of foreign residents
such as Koreans, Chinese, Japanese, Americans, Hindus, Britons and Eurasians. Because of this, Dasmariñas can be also considered
as the “Melting Pot” of Cavite.===Religion===Christianity is the predominant faith, composed
of Roman Catholics, Protestants, and other independent Christian groups. Majority of the population are Roman Catholics. The city is the seat of the Vicariates of
Immaculate Conception and Our Mother of Perpetual Help under the jurisdiction of Diocese of
Imus. Other prominent religious groups includeChurch
of God World Missions, Philippines and the local Church of God Dasmarinas, serve as the
National Office of the Church of God based in Cleveland, Tennessee. Jesus Miracle Crusade International Ministry
(Dasma Outstation, Iglesia Ni Cristo, United Church of Christ in the Philippines (UCCP),Day
by Day Christian Ministries, Jesus Is Lord Church (JIL), Evangelica Unida De Cristo,
Victory Christian Fellowship, United Pentecostal Church (Phils), Inc., World Mission Church,
The United Methodist Church, Salitran Covenant Bible Church, Presbyterian Churches, Baptist
and Bible Fundamental churches, Seventh Day Adventist Churches, Members Church of God
International known as Ang Dating Daan, The Lord’s Hand Family Apostolic Church, and The
Pentecostals of Dasmariñas (TPOD), an independent Oneness Pentecostal, old-fashioned Holiness
group which originated in Dasmariñas City itself. A considerable percentage of the population
are also composed of Muslims. Religious tolerance exists among members of
different sects.===Languages===
The city has a majority of English and Tagalog speakers. Almost all households in the city are bilingual
and know how to speak English. Due to its proximity to Metro Manila and being
part of the Greater Manila Area, there is also a considerably minor amount of speakers
of Bicolano, Ilocano, Ilonggo, Cebuano, Pangasinan, Kapampangan and Chavacano.==Cityscape==The City of Dasmariñas is divided into eleven
unofficially-defined administrative districts and is subdivided into 75 barangays.===Poblacion===The Poblacion is the city center which is
home to Dasmariñas’ old residents. The newly renovated old church of the Parish
of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception, Dasmariñas Library, Dasmariñas Elementary
School and the Immaculate Conception Academy-Science High School are located in the town’s plaza. Municipal Government’s municipio or the town
hall is located a few meters away from the plaza. Near the Poblacion is the De La Salle University-Health
Sciences Campus and the DLSU-Medical Center, the 1st ISO Certified Hospital in the Philippines. Divided into four zones, the town’s center
is mostly residential area but is still lined with many business establishments. Celebrations, shows and gatherings are being
held at the plaza. Every December 8, the town’s Poblacion celebrates
the Feast of the Immaculate Conception wherein colorful banderitas, loud marching bands and
expectacular display of fireworks are seen and is being visited by many people coming
from the different towns in Cavite. Cultural shows and many celebrations are happening
here almost weekly so it has the rightful claim to be called “The Liveliest City in
Cavite”.Five barangays are located in this district. Zone I
Zone I-A (A stands for Aguinaldo because of its location along Aguinaldo Highway)
Zone II Zone III
Zone IV===San Agustin===
Kasuyan is its first name of this place, during the Spanish period, because of the presence
of many cashew trees on the area. After many years, its name became Luksuhin
and on July 18, 1889, it was renamed again by the petition passed by Don Juan Bautista
requesting the place be named after San Agustin. The place is lying between the Poblacion and
Sampaloc in the north. Farming was the chief source of income of
the people here. San Agustin is blessed with rich soil that
can be planted with rice, sugarcane, fruits and vegetables. Here, vast lands with big mango trees can
be found. There was a continuous flow of water coming
from Bucal to the Poblacion during the Spanish period which they call Simbro. However, due to the town’s development, most
lands are now being converted into subdivisions and other business establishments. On December 17, 1944, three persons living
here were killed at the sona (zonification) in the Poblacion. They were Conrado Aledia, Primitivo Sango
and Matiaga Ramirez. Today, the place is on development. The Dasmariñas Central Market and the business
establishments such as the Walter Mart and FSC are located here.Three barangays are located
in this district. San Agustin I
San Agustin II San Agustin III===San Jose===
This barangay is situated between the Poblacion and Sabang. On April 13, 1889, a petition was passed appealing
the sitio, once known Sitio Tamban, to be transformed into a barangay. The place was renamed on July 18, 1889, and
was given the name San Jose in commemoration of their patron saint, St. Joseph. Cumpuerta is the name of the hide-out of the
Filipino revolucionarios during the revolution against Spain. This is a deep canal of flowing water which
still exists until now. The families of Cantada, Villena, Reyes, Mendoza,
Camañag, Ramos, and Pastor are the first ones who settled here.Only one barangay is
located in this district, its namesake, Barangay San Jose.”===Salitran===
This place is known for the name “Salitran” even during the Spanish period. There are no exact historical accounts for
the origin of the name. Some says that such name was given because
the early settlers of this place were from Pampanga, Visayas, Tagalog region and some
Chinese that served the Spanish friars. However, according to the original settlers
here, the place was originally called “Bayanan”. They said that this has numerous big Spanish
houses which is like in a small town. An old house in the eastern part of Salitran
was used by the Spanish friars as the storage place for the rice and was called “Makina”. It was also used as a headquarters by the
Guardia Civil. When the revolution ignited, the “Makina”
became the center of attack by the revolucionarios from the Poblacion and this barrio. The friars weren’t aware of the said assault. On March 7, 1897, the Spanish went to Salitran
where the Magdalo soldiers led by Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo hid. General Emilio Aguinaldo received help from
one thousand men and formed a greater force and even the Spanish troops led by General
Lechambre didn’t penetrate Salitran. Because of the rebelry, the Spanish burned
all the houses and establishments in the barrio. There were only left three houses unburned. During the World War II, Simplicio Lara and
Teodorico Timbang were killed by the Japanese soldiers. Now, Salitran is on vast development due to
the presence of numerous subdivisions and villages. Schools located here are the St. Jude College,
the Immaculate Conception Academy-North Campus, and many others. There are also many business establishments
here.Four barangays are located in this district. Salitran I
Salitran II Salitran III
Salitran IV Salitran V (proposed)===Sabang===
On the northern part of Dasmariñas is where this barangay can be found. The word “Sabang” means “to overflow”; wherein
the creeks running from Malagasang, Imus tend to overflow in this place. This were made by the Spanish friars to irrigate
the vast ricefields in the barangay. The diversion in the direction of the waterflow
made a big change in the agriculture during the Spanish period. There were rich production of rice and because
of this, a bodega was made here for the storage of rice and was called “Kamalig ng Pare” (Silo
of the Priest). This place is considered to be the richest
land in Dasmariñas during the Spanish period. Residents here where known to be industrious. Agriculture is still a source of income in
this barangay though it diminish due to the development of the lands into subdivisions
and schools. More than 85% of the population are professionals
and have a high standard of living. In this place, the Madona Charity Clinic is
located which is owned by Mrs. Bracia Tengko. This clinic is a big help to the less fortunate
residents of the barangay which seeks medical help. At the back of the Madona Clinic was a Rock
with a Spring of Water (Bucal ng Tubig) at the Ylang-Ylang River it was believed to have
healing properties or miracles. In 2007 the Land Transportation Office Dasmarinas
City or LTO Dasmarinas City District Office was established with the sponsorship and pioneering
efforts of Mrs. Carmelita Carungcong Canete to better serve the ever-growing population
of Dasmarinas City. This Barangay is also the birthplace of a
Caviteno robinhood folk hero Leonardo Manicio aka “Nardong Putik”
Only one barangay is located in this district, its namesake, Barangay Sabang.===Burol===
On the eastern part of Dasmariñas, we can find
Barangay Burol which is 3 kilometers away from the city center. The complete name of barrio Burol is Pansol-Burol. Pansol is a Tagalog word meaning aqueduct,
while Burol, also a native word, means mound. Even though there are no historical records
about its establishment, it is safe to say that it was formed during the Spanish period
due to the presence of ruins of old Spanish houses and sugarmills. The families of Quillao and Beltran are the
first ones to settle in this place. This barangay became the hide-out of the Katipuneros/revolucionarios. During the Japanese occupation, there are
some Dasmarineños who were killed in this place. They were Alfredo Purificacion, Pedro Calupad,
Jose Yñota, Victor de Jesus and Angel Olaes. The Japanese soldiers also planted several
cotton trees on the area. Now, this place is considered one of the richest
barangay in Dasmariñas. Many schools and colleges can be found here
such as the Southern Luzon College, International English Center, Asian Trinity School, and
many others. Adjacent to the place is the Emilio Aguinaldo
College. Numerous subdivisions and villages are also
located here.Four barangays are located in this district, these are: Burol I
Burol II Burol III
Burol Main===Langkaan===
This place is located on the south-western part of Dasmariñas. The name “Langkaan” came from the word “langka”
meaning jackfruit; which is believed to be planted in many parts of this barangay during
the 1900, the year of its foundation. Barangay Langkaan was a part of a vast hacienda
during the Spanich period that’s why there are numerous water systems for ricefields
that can be found here. The San Agustin Dam was constructed in 1855. On the last part of the 19th century, the
Spaniards erected an indigo plantation here. The stone-made grinder of indigo still exists
until now and it is the mark of the Spanish influence in the place. The Spaniards are the first ones who planted
sugar canes and became the primary source of income during the 18th century. During those times, tarapiche and carabaos
are used to make panucha and paldo. Don Placido Campos and Andres Medina are the
ones who owned these tarapiche. When the Americans arrived, this place attracted
residents from the Poblacion. The families Quillao, Bautista, Sarabusab,
Reyes, Remulla, Sango, Laudato, Empeño, Satsatin, Medina, de Lima and others transferred here
during those times. During the Second World War, the Japanese
had a big plantation of cotton trees in Langkaan. Dasmarineños were forced to work here. A Japanese concentration camp was also established
in this area. Now, this is considered to be a backbone of
the economic progress of Dasmariñas. The presence of numerous factories in different
industrial estates in this area, such as the First Cavite Industrial Estate, serves as
the working place for the workers living in Dasmariñas and other towns of Cavite as well.Two
barangays are located in this district, these are: Langkaan I
Langkaan II===Paliparan===
Paliparan is situated at the southeastern part of Dasmariñas. In the easternmost part, is surrounded by
the municipalities of Gen. Mariano Alvarez, Cavite and San Pedro, Laguna. This place was a grassy land with no trees
growing on its wide space providing an excellent place for flying kites during summer. In fact, this was what used to be – a paliparan
– meaning an airfield for flying kites. During the Spanish period, the Spaniards used
to go to this place during weekends to fly kites of different designs and colors. The first settlers here came from the town
of Imus. Among them are the families of Faustino Alvarez,
Flaviano Pakingan, Gregorio de la Cruz, Pablo Papa, Dominguez and the Martinez. In 1911, most of the residents here are said
to be uneducated because there were only eight persons who can vote. Also during the Spanish period, this place
became a hiding place for the Katipuneros/revolucionarios. During the Japanese occupation, some hide-outs
of the guerillas were found here such as of “P.Q.O.G., R.C.T.C. Hunters, Reyes Regimen and Saulog Regimen”. In June 1943, the Japanese ordered the residents
to assemble in front of the school wherein they were not given food and water from morning
until evening. Suspected guerrilla members were killed. This barangay is sub divided into six sitios
which are Nyugan (on the west), Crossing, Paliparan (on the north), Paliparan Ilaya
(also on the north), Pook and Burol (on the north-east). Today, it is considered to be one of the richest
barangay in Dasmariñas because of the many factories and industrial estates that are
located here. Among them are the Monterey, Reynold’s Corporation,
Molave Industrial Estate and many others.Three barangays are located in this district, these
are: Paliparan I
Paliparan II Paliparan III===Salawag===
Barangay Salawag is the largest barangay of the city in terms of land area and population. It is located in the north-eastern part of
Dasmariñas. Such name was given to this place due to the
presence of bamboo trees (salawag in archaic Tagalog) made for the construction of houses. This barangay had many names during the olden
times. The Spanish called this “Pasong Tinta” because
there were many plants called “tinta-tintahan” used as an ink. This was also called “Horong Bato” because
the early settlers believed that there is a treasure here buried under a large rock. During the arrival of the Americans, the place
was called “Mataas na Sampalok” because there were numerous tall sampaloc (tamarind) trees
planted here. The first families to live here are the Macalinao,
Pacifico, Purificacion and Paras; while the richest families living here are the Acuzar,
Panerio and Muncada families. Only one barangay is located in this district,
its namesake, Barangay Salawag. Today, the barangay boasts of the world-class
Orchard Golf and Country Club, the site of the 1995 Johnnie Walker Golf Tournament and
a state university, the Technological University of the Philippines – Cavite Campus, established
in 1979. Many subdivisions and villages are also located
here, such as Golden City, San Marino City, Avida Sta. Catalina Village, Avida Sta Cecilia and Avida
Residences Dasmarinas. Commercial establishments include The District
Dasmarinas, SM Savemore Salawag and SM Savemore San Marino. Salawag is also unique among the barangays
in the city as it has two Catholic churches serving its huge population. First established was Mary Immaculate Parish
in NIA Road, built in 2003 under the pastoral care of the Sons of the Holy Mary Immaculate,
which is also the home of Salawag’s patroness: Maria Inmaculada, La Virgen de Salawag, whose
image is reported to be miraculous. Second was Pope John XXIII Parish in San Marino
City, established in 2016. Two townships led by two of the country’s
largest real estate companies, Ayala Land’s Vermosa and Vista Land’s Vista City, both
include areas under the jurisdiction of Barangay Salawag.===Sampaloc===
There were numerous sampaloc (English: tamarind) trees in this place that’s why it was given
such name. It has the largest land area in Dasmariñas. The Central Business District of the city
is located in this barangay. Sitios formed here in 1896 were Palapala,
Bukal, Malinta, Manalo, Piela and Talisayan. In this barangay, the Philippine Christian
University and the Union Theological Seminary can be found. Hella Phils. is located in Malinta, EuroMed
Laboratories and New Era Village of Iglesia ni Cristo (Church of Christ) are in Bucal. More than half of the land is owned by the
International Institute of Rural Reconstruction.Five barangays are located in this district, these
are: Sampaloc I
Sampaloc II Sampaloc III
Sampaloc IV Sampaloc V===Dasmariñas Bagong Bayan===Dasmariñas Bagong Bayan (DBB) was established
in 1975 under the government of Pres. Ferdinand Marcos. At first, it occupies 234 hectares of land
in the town and is 8 kilometers away from the town’s Poblacion. This land was bought by the PHHC or the People
Homesite Housing Corporation to the owners at two million and four hundred thousand pesos
(P2,400,000) which then became the resettlement area for the less-privileged families living
in the depressed areas of Metro Manila. The families of Eduardo Coronel, Rogelio Tomas,
Ruben Alvarez, Manuel Rabang, Aurora Dela Cruz and Diosdado Alto were the first ones
to live here. Diosdado Alto, Rodolfo Urubia, Danilo Serrano,
Maximo Esteban, Manuel Macuto and Francisco Gonzales became the first barangays leaders. After a few years, DBB was divided into 30
barangays with a population of 100,000 living in more than 600 hectares of land. Each families were given 90–200 square meters
which they loan from the NHA or the National Housing Authority. On September 12, 1990, the Sangguniang Bayan
(Municipal Council) passed Order 108-90 ordering DBB to be divided into 47 barangays which
then was approved by the authority. Today, the Congressional South Avenue is lined
with numerous schools and business establishments. The Kadiwa market offers goods at cheaper
price which then serve as an alternative market for the town. Schools such as the Dasmariñas Elementary
School and Dasmariñas National High School are just nearby the market. Along the said avenue sits the De La Salle
University-Dasmariñas Campus.This district has the most number of barangays, 42.==Local government==Dasmariñas City has been a municipality and
later a component city with a mayor-council form of government since its establishment
in 1866. The mayor is the chief executive of the city. He is elected to serve a three-year term,
with a maximum of three terms. The incumbent city mayor is Elpidio F. Barzaga,
Jr., who succeeded his wife, now congresswoman, Jennifer Austria-Barzaga. Prior to his term as Mayor which was started
in June 30, 2016, he served as the representative of 2nd district of Cavite from 2007 to 2013,
and the first representative of the newly formed 4th district of Cavite from 2013 to
2016.The vice mayor is the presiding officer of the Sangguniang Panglungsod ng Dasmariñas
(English: City Council of Dasmariñas). He is also the chief executive of the city
whenever the mayor is out of the city. He is elected to serve a three-year term,
with a maximum of three terms. The incumbent vice mayor is Rex Mangubat,
incumbent since 2016.The Sangguniang Panglungsod ng Dasmariñas (English: City Council of Dasmariñas)
is composed of 12 members with 2 ex officio members which are the Association of Liga
ng mga Barangay ng Dasmariñas (English: League of Barangays of Dasmariñas) President and
the Sangguniang Kabataan (English: Youth Council) Federation President. There are 20 committees in the city each headed
by a chairman who is a city councilor. They are elected to serve a three-year term,
with a maximum of three terms.The city officials from June 30, 2016 to June 30, 2019. They were elected last May 9, 2016during the
2016 Philippine national and local elections, which since 2007, all candidates from the
Barzaga’s group sweep the Municipal/City council.===Heads===
Except for lack of dates of the terms of the gobernadorcillos (also popularly referred
to as captain) during the Spanish regime, the list of town heads of Dasmariñas is complete
from its founding to the present.Gobernadorcillos, (1868–1895)
Juan Ramirez Adriano Llano
Eduardo Bautista Anastacio Paulme
Valeriano Campos Eugenio Ambalada
Ligario Malihan Leon Mangubat
Lino Alcantara Fausto Bautista
Gregorio BaustistaCapitan Municipal, (1895–1896) Placido Campos, 1895–1896Municipal presidents,
(1900–1935) Francisco Barzaga, 1900
Placido Campos, 1901Municipal presidents under Imus Government, (1905–1916)
Effectivity of the law passed in 1901 combining the municipalities of Imus, Dasmariñas and
Bacoor with its seat of government in Imus. Cesar A. Fontanilla, 1905–1913
Felipe Topacio, 1912–1915 Cecilio Kamantigue, 1915–1916Municipal presidents,
(1917–1935) Placido Campos, 1917–1918
Felipe Tirona, 1919–1921 Francisco Barzaga, 1922–1924
Isidro Mangubat, 1925–1927 Emilio Aledia Ramirez, 1928–1931
Col. Estanislao Mangubat Carungcong, 1931–1934 Doroteo Mangubat, 1934–1937Municipal Mayors,
(1935–2009) Teodorico Sarosario, 1937–1940
Felicisimo Medina Carungcong, 1941–1945 Maximo de la Torre, 1946, appointed
Gaudencio Geda, 1946, appointed Fermin de la Cruz, 1947, appointed
Arturo Carungcong, 1948–1950 Emiliano de la Cruz, 1951–1955
Tomas Hembrador, 1956–1963 Remigio Medina Carungcong, 1964–1971
Narciso M. Guevarra, 1972–1982 Recto M. Cantimbuhan, 1982–1986
Elpidio Barzaga, Jr., 1986–1987, appointed Mariano Veluz, March–November 1987 “appointed”
Roberto Cantimbuhan, November–December 1987 “appointed”
Leonardo Javier, January 13 – February 2, 1988 “appointed”
Recto M. Cantimbuhan, 1988–1998 Elpidio Barzaga, Jr., 1998–2007
Jennifer Austria-Barzaga, 2007–2009City Mayors, (2009–present) Jennifer Austria-Barzaga, 2009–2016
Elpidio Barzaga, Jr., Present===Barangays===
Dasmariñas is politically subdivided into 75 barangays or villages. This table shows the barangays, barangay captains,
SK chairmen and population of each barangay in Dasmariñas.===Congressional representation===The Legislative district of Dasmariñas is
the representation of the city in the House of Representatives of the Philippines. The district corresponds to the 4th Legislative
District of Cavite, which was created on October 22, 2009 just right before the ratification
of the Charter of the City of Dasmariñas on November 25, 2009. Prior to being entitled its own representation,
the municipality of Dasmariñas was represented in Congress as part of the lone district of
Cavite from 1907 to 1972, and as part of Region IV-A in the Interim Batasang Pambansa from
1978 to 1984. From 1984 to 1986, it was represented at the
Batasang Pambansa as part of the at-large district of Cavite, and was part of the second
district of Cavite in the restored House of Representatives from 1987 to 2010.The congressman
of the Legislative district of Dasmariñas is the representative of the city in the lower
house of the Philippine Congress. He is elected to serve a three-year term,
with a maximum of three terms. Elpidio F. Barzaga, Jr. is the incumbent congressman.===Provincial board representation===
Despite of its own representation in the congress, it still an ordinary component city, meaning
its citizens still elect provincial officials. The city has two representatives to the Sangguniang
Panlalawigan ng Cavite (English: Provincial Board of Cavite). The board members are elected to serve a three-year
term, with a maximum of three terms. Both Rex Mangubat and Rudy Lara were re-elected
unopposed in May 2013, which Lara is the most higher votes in the entire provincial board,
he is also as the Senior board member.===City Seal===The seal was the winner of the City Logo making
competition sponsored by the City Government.The competition started from February 26, 2010
until March 26 of the same year. Ryan Suarez, an alumnus of University of Santo
Tomas | College of Fine Arts and Design created the city seal. The winning seal underwent minor revisions
and for the celebration of the 1st Cityhood Anniversary and the 143rd Feast of the Immaculate
Conception, from November 25 – December 8, the new city logo was unveiled on November
26, 2010 in the City Quadrangle. The buildings, houses and the gear originate
from the old seal which now represents the growing community and work force. The church symbolizes the historic Immaculate
Conception Church in the Poblacion since it was the site of Battle of Perez-Dasmariñas
during the Philippine Revolution against Spain. The sun is from the Philippine flag where
each rays represents the provinces including Cavite with significant involvement in the
1896 Revolution. The people represents the family and the people
of Dasmariñas. The two rice stalks and the farmer represents
agriculture that reminds us that the city was once a farming community before evolving
into an urbanized city. The globe symbolizes the city’s global competitiveness
while the green leaf represents the city’s environmental advocacy.==Economy==The city of Dasmariñas is one of the fastest
growing local government units in the province of Cavite. Numerous commercial establishments, which
include major shopping malls, fast foods, groceries, convenient stores, restaurants
and other service-oriented businesses, are mostly concentrated in the City Centre and
the Central Business District. Industrial establishments are located in the
outskirts of the city. It has the greatest number of universities
in the province. From an agricultural-based economy, the town
of Dasmariñas has evolved into a highly urbanized, commercialized and industrialized city. It now boasts of three industrial estates,
namely: First Cavite Industrial Estate (FCIE) in Barangay Langkaan, Dasmariñas Technopark
located in Barangay Paliparan I and NHA Industrial Park in Bagong Bayan. Aside from these industrial areas, there are
240 other factories/business establishments scattered in the different barangays that
sum up to a total of 309 operational industries in the city. Dasmariñas is home to hundreds of thousands
of residents who occupy the more than 70 residential subdivisions in the city. It also serves as a haven to investors with
its industrial estates and diverse pool of manpower. The rapid growth of the city’s population
near universities, industrial estates and factories provides a ready market for real
estate ventures such as subdivisions, apartments and other support services. Its infrastructure projects involving major
road construction and widening support the city in its functional role as one of the
residential, commercial, industrial and university centers of Cavite. To protect its environment, Dasmariñas has
adopted its Luntiang (English: Green) Dasmariñas program, which is envisioned to plant 100,000
seedlings planted over the town during the year 2000. In 2012, the city posted PHP 1,137,968,919
in income, with 37% of it (PHP 420,844,216) sourced locally.===Commerce===Commerce and trade transactions are intensively
undertaken in the identified commercial areas along P. Campos Avenue, Camerino Avenue, Emilio
Aguinalo Highway, University Avenue, the Congressional South Avenue and other areas.Commercial establishments
are lined along major thoroughfares. A strip pattern of commercial growth are evident
at other places in Dasmariñas.Commercial developments along Aguinaldo Highway from
Silang to Pala-Pala junction particularly within areas adjacent to the Congressional
Avenue shows the nature and extent of commercial activities in Dasmariñas. The presence of local commercial centers or
shopping centers such as the Highway Plaza, CM Plaza and a branch of a Metro Manila-based
shopping center, the Walter Mart which houses different local and nationwide known commercial
establishments sets the trend of commercial developments in that part of the city. These are further enhanced by the presence
of banks, financial centers and other establishments. There are also commercial establishments supportive
of or are offshoots of the educational and medical services being rendered by the De
La Salle University Medical Center and the Dr. Jose P. Rizal National Medical Research
Center. These makes the area a financial and commercial
district of the municipality. The old commercial developments within the
Poblacion area (Zone I, I-B, II, III and IV) provides for the needs of the old town residents
and the subdivision migrants on the Southern portion of the municipality. The nature of commercial activity being that
of a neighborhood commercial center supports the daily needs of the population. The new location of the public market opens
the city to the neighboring marketing population of other settlement areas. It likewise make the public market accessible
to all the population both from the reselttlement areas and the old townsite. Thus, the financial and commercial activity
in the Poblacion, the Dasmariñas Central Market, the Highway Plaza, the Dasmariñas
Commercial Complex, SM City Dasmariñas, SM Marketmall Dasmariñas, Robinsons Place Dasmariñas,
Terraza Dasma, Walter Mart Dasmariñas, Central Mall Dasmariñas, The District – Dasmariñas
enhance the commercial center role of Dasmariñas.===Industry===
Dasmariñas is an industrial city. The growth has been greatly influenced by
its proximity to Metro Manila and the national government’s industrial boom. It becomes the choice location for business
enterprises being in a crossroad of development south of Manila.Industrial developments along
the Governor’s Drive (Carmona-Ternate Road) specifically the First Cavite Industrial Estate,
the Reynold’s Phils. and different industries dotting the road from Carmona and Silang boundaries
to Gen. Trias as well as those at the Southeastern portion along the Aguinaldo Highway provides
employment and livelihood opportunities to the local as well as adjacent municipalities
labor force. Since these industries are of national or
multi-national corporate capitalization and are enjoyed both on local and export marketing. Taxes are being paid by these industries help
provide for the basic services and amenities needed by the government as well as the constituents
of the municipality.Thirty kilometers from Manila is First Cavite Industrial Estate,
a 283 hectare industrial subdivision located at Langkaan provides adequate facilities to
light/medium industries. It is a joint project of the National Development
Company, Marubeni Corporation, and the Japan International Development Organization Ltd. Situated in Dasmariñas, the estate is complete
with power supply, water system, and telecommunication facilities, with 1,500 lines. The estate includes a General Industrial Zone,
which has a customs office and warehouse.Preferred locators are those involved in non-pollutive
small and medium-scale industries. Presently, 48 companies have located their
business in this state.The Dasmariñas Bagong Bayan – NHA Industrial Estate is all of
8.6 hectares in Dasmariñas. The Local Waterworks Utilities Administration
manages the water system. Its 18 pumps and its 18 elevated storage tanks,
having an average capacity of 60,000 gallons each, can very well serve the needs of the
occupants. Labor-intensive, export-oriented, non- hazardous,
and non-pollutive industries are best situated in the area. GMA-NHA Industrial Estate The General Mariano
Galvez – NHA Industrial Estate compromises 10 hectares of land in the municipality of
Gen. Mariano Alvarez. Types of industries preferred for this estate
are those, which are non-pollutive, labor-intensive, export-oriented, and non-hazardous such as
the 6 companies that have located therein. Other industrial estates located in Dasmariñas
are the Dasmariñas Techno Park and City Land Industrial Estate Dasmariñas.===Real Estate===
Vista Land launched Vista Alabang in 2014, a township of 1,500 hectares spanning the
area where Muntinlupa, Las Piñas, Bacoor and Dasmariñas meet, with the University
Town area of the township under the jurisdiction of Dasmariñas. There are plans to establish a University
of the Philippines campus in the University Town area which will focus on technopreneurship. In 2017, an innovation hub named UP Alabang
was unveiled.Meanwhile, Ayala Land established Vermosa, a 700-hectare township straddling
the cities of Imus and Dasmarinas in 2015. The first project named The Courtyards span
an area also under the city.==Culture=====Tourism===
Tourism plays a large part in the city’s economy. The presence of Aguinaldo Highway and Governor’s
Drive makes the city a stop over for those who are travelling to Tagaytay and Batangas
from Metro Manila and to Laguna from the towns on the western part of Cavite. The city has a large selection of hotels and
resorts catering to tourists. The Kadiwa Park located on Congressional Road
is a large park featuring sculptures and animatronics of animals and dinosaurs attracts tourists
from nearby towns and provinces.The Museo De La Salle, located within the campus of
the De La Salle University-Dasmariñas, is a unique, cultural, cross-disciplinary institution
serving as a permanent museum of the De La Salle University System. As a resource center for both indoor and outdoor
collections, it dedicates itself to the gathering of collectible objects of intrinsic value
significant to the preservation of certain aspects of the Philippine ilustrado lifestyle. It envisions itself to be a leading contributor
to the Philippine University museums’ movement. It seeks to form productive partnerships that
serve communities in creative ways. It vows to assist the member schools of the
System in the core areas of teaching, research, community outreach, and administration. Through active collaboration with other museums
in the nation, it promotes the interests of museology and upholds appreciation of the
arts and culture.The scenic zigzag Daño Street offers a great view of the city’s fields and
becomes a ‘tiangge’ or a bazaar during the holiday season.===Events===
Dasmariñas City has numerous fiestas and events, from the barangay religious feasts
all the way to a citywide fiesta. The city itself has six main events which
are secular, cultural, and religious in nature. Gawad Karangalan – date variesIt is an annual
project of the City Government of Dasmariñas that recognizes the academic and personal
achievements of outstanding Dasmarineño students in the elementary, secondary and tertiary
levels.Dasmariñas Day – October 5It has been a meaningful tradition of the City Government
of Dasmariñas to sponsor a flower offering to commemorate Dasmariñas Day on October
5. This important activity pays tribute our local
heroes who gallantly served the town of Dasmariñas consequently paving the way to our success
as a city today.Paruparo Festival – November 26It is celebrated to commemorate the incorporation
of the city of Dasmariñas with people dancing in the busy streets with butterfly costumes.==Sports==
There are 104 covered courts in 75 barangays and 10 public schools in the city.There are
also free sports clinics in the city, such as chess, baseball, and taekwondo.The first
Inter–Barangay Sports Tournament was held in 1999 where only two (2) events were played
Basketball and Volleyball. Since then it became a regular feature in
the annual program of the local government of Dasmariñas.The City Employees’ Sportsfest
caters to the employees of the City Government of Dasmariñas. It started in 2005 and since then, it has
become a very much awaited event. Department Heads and rank and file employees
compete in a friendly competition where talent, skills and perseverance are displayed in a
manner comparable to a high level tournament.Dasmariñas Private Schools Athletic Association commonly
known as DPSAA started as an experimental project in 2001 to select athletes who will
represent Private Schools in the Municipal Meet (now City Meet). After ten (10) years in existence, DPSAA has
become a breeding ground for athletes who hail from private schools.There is a proposed
Dasmariñas Arena. However, its location and other information
is yet to be announced.==Education==Several prominent Manila-based universities
have established campuses in the city, thus bestowing the city the nickname, “The University
City of Cavite.” The De La Salle University-Dasmarinas(27-Hectares)
and its affiliate De La Salle Health Sciences Institute which has a College of Medicine
& other Health-related Colleges are based in the city. The former offers degrees in the liberal arts,
commerce, engineering and criminology; while latter focuses on medical courses. At the same time, the De La Salle Health Sciences
Institute operates and manages a hospital, the DLSU Medical Center, the 1st ISO (International
Organization for Standardization) Certified Hospital in the Philippines. Other university and college campuses are
the Philippine Christian University, the Technological University of the Philippines – Cavite,
National College of Science and Technology, Emilio Aguinaldo College Cavite Campus, St.
Paul College Island Park and many others. The number of higher education institutions
in the city allows it to serve the tertiary education needs of its population as well
as those of the neighboring towns and provinces.==Media==
The city also has its own newspaper, Usaping Bayan, the official newspaper of Dasmariñas.Radio
and television channels from Metro Manila are received clearly in the city. DASCA Cable Services provides cable television
services to the city. Dasmariñas TV Channel 3, where upcoming events,
projects, announcements, finished projects, etc. are reached out to the Dasmariñas residents,
is the city’s official television station and is available thru subscription to DASCA
Cable Services.The only radio station in the city is Green FM on 95.9, operated by the
De La Salle University-Dasmariñas.==Transportation=====Road network===Several roads connect Dasmarinas to other
cities and towns. A future expressway, the Cavite-Laguna Expressway,
will pass through the western and southern borders of the city. It will be the first expressway in the city.Aguinaldo
Highway (N419) and Governor’s Drive (N65) are major highway corridors passing through
the city. Paliparan Road and Salitran Road serves the
suburbanized areas to the east. The city maintains other major thoroughfares,
like Carlos Trinidad Avenue, Don Placido Campos Avenue, and others that serves other barangays
up to the boundaries with other municipalities. The major highways are noted for congestion
due to a lack of new roads.===Public transport===
Jeepneys can be found around the city, like other cities and town in the Philippines. Jeepney terminals are located in SM City Dasmariñas
and Robinsons Place Dasmariñas, both in the Central Business District. It has fixed routes and you can just hail
and ride anywhere in the route. Jeepneys are cheaper than buses and taxis. Tricycles are commonly seen in the busy streets
of the city. Tricycle terminals are scattered around the
city, such as intersections of small streets. Taxis are commonly seen in the Central Business
District, in SM City Dasmariñas and Robinsons Place Dasmariñas. Taxis will take you to any part of Luzon island. Taxis are more expensive than tricycles. There are many bus routes in the city. They will take you to Metro Manila, Batangas,
Laguna, and other surrounding provinces, cities and towns. There is a planned extension of the Manila
Light Rail Transit System Line 1 or the LRT-1 to Niog, Bacoor. This extension will be a separate rapid transit
line to be known as the Manila Light Rail Transit System Line 6 or LRT-6 which will
have three stations in the city with its terminus at Governor’s Drive. The nearest operating railway station is the
Alabang PNR Station. It is about 30 minutes away via Daang Hari
Boulevard.====Air transport====
The airport nearest to the city is Ninoy Aquino International Airport (IATA: MNL, ICAO: RPLL),
about 40 to 60 minutes depending on traffic condition on the Aguinaldo Highway and CAVITEx. Another airport close to the city is the Clark
International Airport (IATA: CRK, ICAO: RPLC), about 2 to 4 hours depending on traffic condition
on the EDSA, NLEx and the SCTEx.==Healthcare==
There are seven major hospitals in Dasmariñas. Asia Medic Family Hospital and Medical Center
– Sitio Palapala, Sampaloc I DBB Municipal Hospital – San Esteban
De La Salle University Medical Center – Congressional Ave. Emilio Aguinaldo College Medical Center Cavite
– Salitran II St. Paul Hospital Cavite, Inc. – Burol II, Bagong Bayan
Dasmariñas City Medical Center, Inc. – Crossing, Salawag
Pagamutan ng Dasmariñas – Burol IEstablishment of a Drug Testing Center where municipal employees,
public school teachers, barangay officials, and policemen are randomly checked free of
charge to ensure that they are fit to provide public service. This is also open to the public for 150 pesos.The
Dasmariñas Lying-In Clinic in Barangay Victoria Reyes established in 2001 offers free childbirth
services to indigent mothers. To date, 9,372 mothers have already given
birth there.Operation Tule in all barangays is being held every summer which had already
provided free services to 23,146 residents as of March 15, 2011.Operation of Animal Bite
Center has been established where free vaccination against rabies are given to residents bitten
by dogs and cats. Established in April 2003, it operates with
a budget of Php1 million annually and has benefited 16,395 residents.Free anti-rabies
vaccination for pet dogs which now total to 25,385.In 2016, Pagamutan ng Dasmariñas (English:
Dasmariñas Hospital) opened, aimed to serve indigent patients of the city.==Communications==
Dasmariñas rely upon agencies for their communication needs. These are the Bureau of Posts, the Bureau
of Telecommunications, the RCPI, the Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company (PLDT), Digital
Telecommunications (DIGITEL), GLOBE Telecom, ISLACOM, etc. The town has the rightful claim to be tagged
as “the internet hub of Cavite” due to the presence of numerous Internet Service Providers
(ISP) in Dasmariñas. Computer Centers and Internet Cafes, which
provides access to the information super highway, are lined along the busy avenues of the city.All
three major telecommunications companies in the Philippines has 3G and voice coverage
in the city, including the rural areas. LTE is to be rolled out in the city soon.==See also==
Dasmariñas Bagong Bayan Legislative district of Dasmariñas City==References==84. ^ http://collections.pvao.mil.ph/Guerilla/GuerillaInformationDownload/GUA-0001034==External links==
Official Website of the City of Dasmariñas, Cavite
Official Website of the Provincial Government of Cavite http://collections.pvao.mil.ph/Guerilla/GuerillaInformationDownload/GUA-0001034
Philippine Standard Geographic Code Philippine Census Information

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *