Winn’s Common | Wikipedia audio article


Winn’s Common is a public open space in Plumstead
in the Royal Borough of Greenwich, England.==History==Winn’s Common is said to have been settled
by ancient Britons. Several Bronze Age burial mounds were found
in the area, as well as Roman relics. One mound remains on Winn’s Common, the Winn’s
Common Tumulus. During World War II a line of barrage balloons
were sited on Winn’s Common to deter enemy aircraft from attacking the Royal Arsenal,
Woolwich. Across Kings Highway there is a memorial to
George Webb, the headmaster of Burrage Grove Boys School in 1896. Originally a drinking fountain, it has been
filled in and its fittings removed. At the end of the second world war many prefabricated
houses were placed on Winn’s Common to try and alleviate the displaced from all over
London. The prefabs came down in the early 1950s to
be replaced by open ground and football pitches. An old hut at the North End of the common,
adjacent to Kings Highway, served as the changing rooms with a tin trough and cold taps supplying
the only washing facility. At the end of the second world war many prefabricated
houses were placed on Winn’s Common to try and alleviate the displaced from all over
London. The prefabs came down in the early 1950s to
be replaced by open ground and football pitches. An old hut at the North End of the common,
adjacent to Kings Highway, served as the changing rooms with a tin trough and cold taps supplying
the only washing facility

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *